Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Itch, Itch, Scratch, Scratch, Golly Gee

It is about 11 pm and I am waiting for Alyssa to finally go to sleep. She went babysitting tonight and got home about 9:45 with a rash/hives up her arm. Anything we did (benadryl cream, hyrocortisone cream, soaking it in baking soda water, etc.) just made it more irritated. I gave her some oral Benadryl, but that wasn't going to help for 20 or 30 minutes. It was hurting her soooo bad that she was in tears. Finally I thought of aloe vera, but I only had some aloe vera juice that we had used for tummy troubles. I soaked a rag in it and wrapped her arm. It started helping so fast. After an hour of trying to figure out what to do, it was as simple as wrapping a rag around her arm. She finally calmed down. I think it was a combination of the oral Benadryl and the aloe vera. When I was growing up, my grandma always had an aloe vera plant that she broke open any time someone had a burn or a bite or a rash. I think I may try growing an aloe vera plant after tonight.

2 comments:

Erin said...

ouch! what gave her the rash?

1happyCAMPer said...

We haven't figured it out yet?! I have given her Zyrtec and she is doing better, so hopefully it won't come back.